We wanted to ensure our creative elementary and high school student from our region were aware of the “Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network” – HOMETOWN HERITAGE ESSAY & PHOTO CONTEST.
CONTEST # 1:
HOMETOWN HERITAGE ESSAY CONTEST
The Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network is on the lookout for hometown history. We’re offering students in primary levels 4, 5 and 6 cash prizes for the best true tales about remarkable people, events and traditions from Quebec’s past.
In your own words, write an original brief story in English about one of the following topics:
1) a real woman or man from history who was important to your community. This person might be an early pioneer or inventor, a scientist, a scholar or an artist, a teacher, an accomplished athlete or even a local hero ― the choice is up to you. Tell about your subject’s life and his or her most memorable achievements.
2) a significant historical event that took place in your neighbourhood, town, village or region. Tell what happened, when it happened, and how it affected the people living in your community. Stories should mention at least one real-life person from history who took part in the event.
3) a special custom, festival, dance or other tradition that takes place in your community each year. What are its origins? When does it take place? Why is it an important part of your hometown heritage?
Send your entries to: Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network 400-257 Queen Street Sherbrooke (Lennoxville), Quebec J1M 1K7
Prizes First-place prize is $150. Second-place prize is $100. Third-place prize is $50. The winning stories will appear in Quebec Heritage News magazine and on QAHN’s website. Criteria Each entry will be judged according to content, organization, originality, grammar and overall clarity of writing.
Format and Length All submissions must be neatly handwritten in ink or typed, and contain between 200 and 250 words.
Entry deadline The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2014. Contact information Each entry must contain the name and grade level of the student, the name of the school and the class teacher, as well as the school telephone number and mailing address.
CONTEST # 2 :
2ND ANNUAL HERITAGE PHOTO CONTEST 2013-2014! “My Heritage Object”
Open to High School Students across Quebec!
Back by popular demand! QAHN is pleased to announce that it is once again holding its annual Heritage Photo Contest. This contest is open to students enrolled in English-language high schools in the province of Quebec.
CONTEST RULES: 1. Subject: Photos must be of an object, artefact, or work of art judged by the student to be of significance to the heritage of the student’s family, school, community, or region. They may even be of significance to the heritage of the province of Quebec or Canada.
2. Photographer: Photos must be the work of the student.
3. Specs: Photos may be submitted in either colour or black and white. Photos may be submitted in digital format only (as JPGs), must have a resolution of 300 ppi or better, and a dimension of at least 800 X 1000 pixels.
4. Each photo must be accompanied by the following: • the name of the student; • the grade of the student; • the name of the teacher; • the name, address and telephone number of the high school; • the title of the photo; • the date the photo was taken; • the category of heritage being represented; • and a 150 to 300 word essay describing the object and why it constitutes “heritage.” The essay should accompany the photo as a separate file.
5. Participants may submit up to a maximum of three (3) photos / essays each;
6. Entries may be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The date on which the email was sent will be considered the date of submission. Submissions (on CD) may also be sent by regular mail to: QAHN, 400-257 Queen, Sherbrooke, QC J1M 1K7. For entries received by regular mail, the postmark will be considered the date of submission.
7. Judging: All submissions will be judged according to composition, originality, and technical merit (for the photography), and content, grammar and quality of writing (for the accompanying essay).
8. Tips: When photographing an object, pay careful attention to lighting, focus, distance, and the angle of the object being photographed. Avoid reflections that can be caused by flashes. Think about how you want the object to appear to the viewer, and about how it will be photographed to its best advantage. When writing about an object, be concise. Edit your words carefully. Most importantly, think about how your object constitutes heritage. PRIZES:
1st Prize: $200 2nd Prize: $150 3rd Prize: $100
The three winning entries will also be published in Quebec Heritage News, the quarterly magazine of the Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, as well as on www.QAHN.org.
DEADLINE: The deadline for submissions is 5:00 p.m. on April 30, 2014.
For more information, contact QAHN at: email@example.com, or at: (819) 564-9595 or toll free at: 1 (877) 964-0409.
Here is the link for all the details for the contest: http://qahn.org/kids-heritage-essay-contest
(Image courtesy of Boians Cho Joo Young at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)