This past November Emilie Bowles, the History teacher from NOVA, participated in the 21st edition of the Teachers Institute on Canadian Parliamentary Democracy in Ottawa. This week-long event is organized by the Library of Parliament and involved about 80 teachers from across the country.
Here are some of the highlights of this amazing professional development opportunity:
· Meetings with MPs and Senators, Parliamentary Librarians, clerks of both Houses, lobbyists, and journalists;
· Question period in the House of Commons;
· Tours of Centre Block & East Block, Rideau Hall, the Supreme Court of Canada, and CPAC;
· Parliamentary committee simulation & model parliament simulation;
· Resource fair with Library of Parliament & guests, as well as networking ideas with colleagues.